Research, Development and Innovation
The Research, Development and Innovation Unit of Emergency Services Academy Finland is responsible for the coordination of research activities within Rescue Services in Finland. The RDI unit brings a strong and structured end-user view to projects, assisting in the domain analysis and supporting project activities by facilitating the dialogue between end-users, academia and industry.
Main research areas include:
- accident prevention, risk management and emergency preparedness
- process improvement of rescue services
- development of methods of rescues services
- practical field tests: product tests, demonstrations, experiments and fire tests.
Aim of RDI activities is to develop rescue services by producing input that can be used in enhancing practices, education and training and decision support.
Emergency Services Academy Finland has a long history in several national projects concerning education and training aspects of emergency and rescue forces, with relevance to situational awareness and public safety ICT.
Additionally, the Academy contributes and has contributed to several European research and development projects, such as:
- RPAS – Unmanned Aircraft’s usage at Rescue Missions »
- AIRBEAM – Airborne Information for Emergency Situation Awareness and Monitoring
- PEP – Public Empowerment Policies for Crisis Management »
- SNOWBALL – Lower the Impact of Aggravating Factors in Crisis Situations Thanks to Adaptative Foresight and Decision-support Tools »
Emergency Services Academy Finland has 38 hectare wide training ground with over 100 training and testing facilities, including various fire simulators, hazmat field, meteorological station and sensor networks. The Academy is equipped with 70 fire engines, movable command and control centres, ambulances and other vehicles. In addition The Academy has other simulating and testing environments e.g. Emergency Response Centre simulator and paramedic simulators.
The Academy has a long history in co-operation with the experts on the domain, including the teachers and students.
Emergency Services Academy Finland
P.O. Box 1122 (Hulkontie 83)